Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Quick and Dirty

Read More

Where do you take a friend who hasn’t been on a bike for a long time?


I wanted to have a fun ride this morning, but didn’t want to do anything too hardcore because I like my friends, and don’t want to scare them off. After some poring over Google Maps (I do that a lot), I came up with a compromise that was mostly off-road, had a couple of good hills, and got us back home within two hours.


And we all survived to ride again!



I’m amazed at Glen’s quick eyes. We’d only just got off the bikes at this river crossing and he spotted a 30cm (1 foot) catfish swimming around in the mirky water.


It had a few skin marks which Glen reckons might have been from being swept over the dam wall in recent flooding.


Well spotted!

A bit of a drop

This causeway had a nasty 50cm drop at one end, which is ok for hardcore riders, but not much for everyone else.


We found a few stray rocks and put them near the drop to make it easier to traverse.


I think Harrison was a bit skeptical at my handiwork. Although you can’t see it, he did finally manage to ride over it.


All up 22km in 1 hour 45 minutes, 300m total climbing, 1500 calories.



View Larger Map


No comments: