Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bunyaville 3 – Neil Nil

Read More

I went over the handlebars three times today.


After Crash #1

After Crash #1

After Crash #2

Harrison and Neil

after Crash #2

After Crash #3

After Crash #3

 


Thankfully I was with Simon & Sam, Steve G, Steve B and Harrison, so there were plenty of people to look out for me (and laugh).


We paid a visit to Bunyaville State Forest at Albany Creek to try our skills on the mountain bike trails there.  They’re amazing.  Miles and miles of dirt tracks with wierd names like “Nut Cracker”, “Psycho”, “Jurassic”, “Carnage”. 


I thought to myself “Why do they have such strange names?” 


Now I know.


CIMG0395

Simon and Sam

19092009287

Steve G (right) fixes Harrison’s saddle

The first time over the handlebars, I used the front brakes too much.


The second time over the handlebars, I think I didn’t learn my lesson well enough from the first time, and used the front brakes too much.


The third time I couldn’t get up.  Some sadist had put a hidden pothole in the track, and my front wheel found it as accurately as a guided missile.  My helmet hit the ground with a horrible thud, and I saw stars.  I’m really glad Steve G was able to haul me up on my feet.


Now every inch of my body hurts.


I have a black eye, skinned knees, grazed chin, cut nose, bleeding forearms, horrible looking shoulder, and numerous bruises.


But it was a hoot!  I had a great time.


Everyone (except me) rode really well and safely. I was really proud of Harrison too. For a nine year old he did really well on a tough ride. And Sam did amazingly well too considering he was on a BMX not a mountain bike.


And, unless I die first, I’ll be out again tomorrow morning trying my skills against another (easier) trail.


Thanks to Simon and Steve B for the photos, and thanks to Steve G for the map data.



View Larger Map


No comments: