Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Friday, July 03, 2009

The Secret Pony

Lilly came to me today and read me her partially completed story.

"What else should I write, Daddy?" she asked.

And I replied, "Kids understand magic when they're your age, but as they grow up most adults forget about it. So I'm not the best person to ask about what to write. You know much more about magic than what I do".

"But what about Doctor Seuss and Mem Fox", Lilly retorted. (She's very astute for her age).

"Ahhh. Doctor Seuss and Mem Fox never forgot what it was like to be a kid", I answered. "That's why they're both so good at what they do".

Seems like I've got a lot of "remembering" to do. Adults are so boring, and such a large part of our lifespan is devoted to being "grown up". Childhood is so brief....

So brief it makes me want to cry at the tragedy of it all.

"The Secret Pony by Lilly Ennis

Onec upon a time there lived a butyful
girl named cloe. One day when cloe was in the
garden picing strorbries she
found a secret passag throe the garden. it was so butyful. So she wen throe it.
When she got to the end of the secret passag sge sore a pony. It was so butyful.
It had long heir and sparkerling blue eyes. The pony gace her lots of spechal
yummy treats. They played together to but the most imporint thing is that there
friends. The End."



Don't forget how to be a kid, Lilly. Once you forget, it's a long time being a grown-up.

No comments: