Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Friday, June 19, 2009

Bach Fugure in G Minor (BWV 578)- my jazzy attempt

For the last couple of weeks I've been working on this rendition of Bach's Fugue in G Minor "The Little" (BWV 578).

I've driven our entire house crazy with it, and now my poor wife, Liz, can't get the tune out of her head. And I can't stop whistling it and humming it as I walk around.

I think I could do better than this, but I'm sharing this with you because if I know someone listens to it, I'll try harder next time. Despite my clumsy attempts and the slow pace I took it at, I love this piece. Bach is a genius. This music is just as enjoyable now as it was hundreds of years ago when he wrote it. I love the way the different phrases echo from each part.

This arrangement is in four parts, for four saxophones. I recorded each track separately on my WX5 using the Floboe for Soprano and Alto parts, Trumpet for Tenor part, and Baritone sax for Baritone part. At one place, when the trumpet had a two bar sustained note, I was really tempted to throw in an improvised jazz lick, but in the end I decided not to because I need to play it better before trying something like that.

It's hard to play this on a wind instrument because you have bars and bars of semi-quavers, and no room to breathe.

Anyway, if you listen to it, please let me know. I'll try hard to play better next time!



No comments: